So, out of the blue, I decided in late November that I needed a change in my life. I was feeling settled, which unsettles me. My gypsy gene kicked in, and I became determined to move -- far away. I applied for jobs in Asia, California, and along the East Coast. Turns out, I got a job in New York City. Now, I have to move there! As I prepare to leave Austin, I'm filled with nostalgia at every turn. Parking garages remind me of summers in high school and Leonard Cohen. The scent of pizza recalls evenings at
The Parlor, and the recent balmy evenings remind me of afternoons at Barton Springs. I've taken to cruising around the city with the windows down, taking it all in, and listening to Zooropa. I can't get enough of burgers at
Casino El Camino, which may lead to an early death before I ever make it to NYC.
I keep asking myself, is this the change that I wanted? What have I done to myself? In the end, I know I'll expand my knowledge of myself, my experiences, and my view of the world. But, that doesn't make it any easier to leave. Of course, I have much to look forward to... walking instead of driving, more time with my best friend (hopefully including craft nights!), and delicious street food (
Red Hook Ball Fields, here I come!). My mother expects this folly to last no more than two years. I think she might be right. In the meantime, there are some things that I won't miss about Austin...
- dreadlocked white guys
- militant vegans
- terrorist hunting permits
And a few things that I will miss...
- Casino burgers
- tattooed white guys
- original creatures, like Leslie (who knew that he had such a detailed wikipedia entry?)
No comments:
Post a Comment